If your doctor has suggested a Lipid Profile test, it is about time you get one. But it is important to understand what cholesterol is and learn more about the test to assess the level of cholesterol before undergoing the test. If you are wondering where to get a cholesterol test in Bangalore, Prima Diagnostics is your best bet. We offer the test at all our branches in the city in Jayanagar, Whitefield, and Yelahanka. Our tests are priced comprehensively and conducted under the supervision of professional experts. But it is important to learn all you can about cholesterol and the test to assess its level. We have all the information you’ll need, read on!
What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a fatty waxy like substance found in one’s blood inside the body. It is usually produced by the liver in the body but it can also be found in food substances like high fat oils, high fat cheese, eggs, red meat, butter, etc. Cholesterol is very vital for a body to function at its healthiest best but becomes a problem when the level increases in your blood. Increase in the cholesterol level in one’s blood can lead to serious health issues including coronary artery disease.
Who is prone to High Cholesterol?
Anyone can be at a risk of high cholesterol based on various factors but some people are more at risk than others. Let’s find out who’s more at risk of high cholesterol:
- People who drink alcohol frequently.
- Those who indulge in unhealthy food often.
- Individuals with a family history of heart disease.
- People who follow a very inactive lifestyle.
- People who have a family history of high cholesterol.
- Those who smoke cigarettes frequently.
- People who have diabetes, kidney disease, or an underactive thyroid gland.
- Those who are overweight.
What is a Lipid Profile test and how to prepare for it?
A cholesterol test basically determines four things about your cholesterol level:
- Total Cholesterol- This is the complete amount of cholesterol present in your blood.
- Low Density Lipoprotein- This assesses the total level of ‘bad cholesterol’ in your blood.
- High Density Lipoprotein- This takes into account the amount of ‘good cholesterol’ in your blood.
- Triglycerides- Our body stores the calories we don’t use in fat cells and this is called triglycerides. If you are unhealthy, you have a chance of having a high triglyceride level.
A Lipid Profile test is conducted by drawing blood from your arm in the morning. It is a must to follow 10 to 12 hours of overnight fasting(sips of water during this phase is perfectly okay). It is also important that the dinner be a regular meal, nothing with too much oil. Avoid alcohol consumption 24 hours before the test. Your doctor may instruct you to temporarily stop taking certain medicines before the test. For this reason, it’s important you talk to your doctor about your present medications before undergoing this test.
Are there any side effects of the test?
There are no such side effects of Lipid Profile test. Once you get your results, you can take it to your doctor to assess the state of your health and find out if you at risk of any health issues.