You go to a doctor for a checkup, you are advised to get a few diagnostic tests done and the doctor suggests a particular diagnostic center for the tests. How many times have you been in this situation? This is something all of would’ve faced at least once in our lifetime. When a doctor suggests a particular diagnostic center for our tests, most of us assume that the doctor does it for commission reasons.It is assumed that diagnostic centers offer a commission to doctors when they send patients to their center. But is it true? And if it is true, to what extent? Is the doctor’s advice just for their monetary benefit or is it beneficial to you too? Should you opt for the suggested diagnostic center or choose one that’s convenient for you? In this article, we will discuss everything in detail.
Why do doctors suggest particular diagnostic centers?
Before we discuss which option to go for, we need to understand why doctors make their suggestion. When you are instructed to get some diagnostic tests done, more often than not, the doctor suggests you get it done at a particular center. Many assume that this is for the doctor’s benefit, but that is quite far from the truth. There are several reasons why a doctor might make the suggestion. Listed below are few of those reasons:
- Being an experienced individual in the medical field, the doctor will be well aware of which diagnostic centers are good at their job. The suggestion might be to ensure that you get quality service.
- Not every place offers all kinds of diagnostic center. For instance the diagnostic center suggested by the doctor might be one of the only ones that offers a particular diagnostic test and hence, the suggestion.
- In some cases, it’s crucial to get test results as early as possible. In such cases, doctors prescribe diagnostic centers that actually deliver results quicker.
- In some cases, doctors are affiliated with diagnostic centers, meaning they will be the consultant doctors at that place. In that case, it makes sense to visit the same diagnostic center as the whole process will be much more simpler and quicker.
- Sometimes the diagnostic center might even be suggested to you because it’s cheaper than other ones.
- It’s also true that in some cases, doctors make the suggestion for the sole purpose of commission but that does not mean they are doing any disservice by you as long as the diagnostic center offers quality service.
Which one should I choose for?
We can assure you that there usually is not much of a difference between diagnostic centers, that is if they are providing the same services. The only thing that might differ is the quality and the cost. If your doctor makes a suggestion and if you are not sure, ask the doctor as to why you should visit the particular center. If you are not satisfied with the reasoning, you can always visit a diagnostic center of your choice. At the end of the day all that matters is that the diagnostic center offers quality cost effective service and on time, regardless of whether the place was suggested by the doctor or if you chose it yourself. But we do suggest you do your research before entrusting a diagnostic center for your problems.