As women, we don several roles everyday, we work, take care of our family, and do so much more. In our race to fulfill our responsibilities with family, friends, and work, we forget about our most important responsibility- our own health. It is not enough to maintain a good diet and lead an active lifestyle to take care of your health. Women, in general, are more prone to certain kind of health ailments and some of them as serious as heart attacks and cancer. In order to ensure you are healthy, it’s important to follow a certain set of rules that are apart from the regular things you do to stay healthy. From getting a mammography exam to using eco friendly products on your body, there are several things that you can do to ensure you are at your healthiest. Read on to know all about it.
Top tips to ensure you face no bad surprises when it comes to your health!
- Routine health checkups- Just because everything seems fine on the surface does not mean that there is nothing wrong inside. Most common diseases and health ailments do not even show any obvious symptoms unless it’s too developed. Hence, it is very important to get a regular health check up done at least once a year. Prima diagnostics has a wide range of health check up packages available just for women.
- Mammography exam- Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among women and when it comes to cancer, the sooner you detect it, the better. If anyone in your family has a history of cancer, it is important to get a mammography exam done every year. Even if you have no reason to worry, it’s necessary that you undergo a mammography exam if you notice any unusual changes in your body that might be symptom of breast cancer just to be safe.
- Use natural products- As women, we go through a lot of grooming products everyday to keep up our appearance. But what we do not take into account is the long term effects of these products on our health. Most of the beauty products like makeup and grooming products such as lotions and deodorants contain harmful chemicals which can be very harmful to a woman’s health. Hence, we suggest that you use organic products that contain natural ingredients as opposed to man made chemicals.
- Maintain good hygiene- It is important to maintain good hygiene to stay healthy. As women, some of our body parts are a little more sensitive and it is important to maintain a strict code of hygiene and cleanliness.
- Be physically active- Adapt some sort of physical activity in your daily routine to burn off excess calories and keep your heart rate up.
- Follow a healthy diet- Following a healthy diet does not have to mean giving up on your favourite food. Eat everything in moderation and cut down on the excess of fatty foods and sugar to stay healthy.
- BMD Exam – The drop in bone density for women is caused by falling levels of the female hormone oestrogen. Oestrogen helps to protect bone strength. Although your bone density decreases at the menopause, your risk of osteoporosis (weak bones) and fractures (broken bones) stays relatively low until you get much older.
What is Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis develops when the body loses bone more quickly that it can make it. As a result, bones become less dense at the core and lose thickness at the surface. This increases the bones susceptibility to fracture.
Risk Factors: With aging, everyone has some bone loss. Certain people are likely to have even greater bone loss. Here are some
Factors that create a higher risk.
- Female. (Women are at a higher risk for osteoporosis than men )
- Advancing age (Over 45 years old)
- Family history of osteoporosis
- Inactive lifestyle
- Thin or small body size
- Low-calcium diet
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Went through menopause at an early stage
What is BMD (Bone mineral density) test?
The bone density test is a painless and quick way of estimating how dense or thick your bones are using very low dose X-rays. The test is more accurately done using Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) machine. The results obtained are interpreted by expert radiologists. The scan typically takes less than 15 mins.
Who should get the scan done?
- You’re 45 years or older
- You’re a postmenopausal woman
- You break a bone after 45
- You’re having back pain without any cause
Prima Diagnostics offers Mammography , BMD and Health Check up Packages for Women at its Jayanagar, Yelahanka, and Whitefield centers in Bangalore.